Rachel Karu, ICF Los Angeles President
Did you know that March is ICF Global’s membership drive?
When I learned this, I started to ponder what is ICFLA and ICF Global’s value proposition? In other words, what are we doing to show you the value of your membership? This ties into my theme for the year on how to Attract, Retain, and Engage our members.
Ed Rigsbee author of the book “ROI of Membership” defines two types of association members:
Givers and Takers.
- Givers join to participate in and be a part of their industry’s association.
- Takers join to take advantage of collaborative synergies; they want to get more than they give.
Let’s explore how ICFLA and ICF appeals to both Givers and Takers:
- Being an ICFLA member provides you with at least 4 programming opportunities each month for you to attend. This provides an opportunity to learn, build relationships, and community.
- We have ongoing volunteer opportunities for you to get involved, show us your strengths, and have an impact on our community and ultimately the world.
- The ICFLA Board of Directors is always on the lookout for members who want to up their involvement and be a part of a dynamic leadership team.
- ICFLA has social media outlets including Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter. These provide opportunities for you to build relationships and let us hear what you have to offer our community with your unique voice and strengths.
- Being an ICFLA member provides you with credibility as a professional.
- We provide at least 4 programming opportunities each month for you to attend. This provides the opportunity for learning and relationship building.
- Receive Continuing Coach Education units for almost all of our programming offerings.
- ICF offers Communities of Practice Teleclasses(CPs). CPs generally meet by monthly, offer a venue to communicate best practices and new ideas with coaches from around the world who share your professional interests.
- ICFLA has social media outlets including Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter. These provide opportunities for you to get to know other members and let your voice be heard.
- ICF offers a calendar of events that you can access.
- You can display your ICF Member Logo.
- Take advantage of ICF ready made templates.
Reviewing the list above, it's easy to see that we can be both Givers and Takers.
If you are anything like me, it is easy to get into this mindspace “what is my membership doing for me?” When I think about this, it makes me think of the John F. Kennedy quote “ask not what your country can do for you -- ask what you can do for your country.”
I believe that the universe rewards action! If you have BIG goals for 2018, are you taking EVERY action possible to support that change? Only you can decide what steps to take in order to maximize your membership!
I urge you to consider how to make the most of your membership. For example:
- Are you attending as many of the monthly events as possible?
- Have you reached out people you meet at meetings to deepen your relationship?
- Have you volunteered to coach as part of our annual pro-bono coaching opportunity?
- Have you expressed an interest to serve on the board?
- Are you actively involved with our social media outlets?
- Do you want to step up your involvement by raising your hand to volunteer?
Do you have thoughts on how we can provide even greater value to you? We would love to hear from you - firstname.lastname@example.org!
On we grow…